This weekend is an especially busy one in the Lowcountry.
Between the Family Circle Cup on Daniel Island, Flowertown Festival in Summerville and Lowcountry Cajun Festival at James Island County Park, there’s something for everyone.
Arguably the biggest event, however, is the Cooper River Bridge Run. One of the premier 10K races in the country, it draws thousands of runners from all over the world.
In celebration of the event, we present our annual Cooper River Bridge Run Head2Head Trivia. Competing are current champ Greg Bradley and his opponent, Dana Mathis, who is a new mom.
1. What was the first year of the Bridge Run?
2. The first race was a 10K. True or false?
3. How many years has there been a tie for first place?
4. What talk show host raced using a pseudonym in 1994?
5. Runners from what country have dominated the race since the early ’90s?
6. What was the first year that more than 10,000 runners participated?
7. What famous comedian fired the cannon and ran the event in 1996?
8. The 2006 race debuted what category as a competitive event?
9. What was special about the 2006 race?
10. Who won the design contest this year for the T-shirt?
3. Don’t know. Once?
4. Guessing Oprah.
7. Jim Carrey?
8. Race walking.
9. Took place in the rain.
10. Don’t know.
1. Late ’70s, like maybe ’79.
2. Let’s say false.
3. Um, one?
4. I’ve heard it was Oprah Winfrey.
7. Bill Murray, because he lives here?
8. I’m thinking it was wheelchairs.
9. Isn’t that the year the Ravenel Bridge was open?
10. Like the design, but don’t know the name.
Dana wins her first round of Head2Head, becoming our new champ. She’ll return next week to defend the title.
2. False. Police ordered the finish line moved about 150 yards, making the course short.
3. One. It was in 1980.
4. Oprah Winfrey
7. Bill Murray
9. It took place on the new Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge.
10. Mayela Lopez