It’s hard to believe it’s that time of year again, when downtown Charleston explodes into the full-on arts extravaganza that is Spoleto Festival USA.
For 17 days, arts enthusiasts can choose from hundreds of performances between Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto offerings. (Check out the special section insert on Spoleto for all the details.)
New trivia champ Brent Norris is being challenged by Rebecca Drake, who works as a nanny.
1. When was Spoleto founded in Charleston?
2. Who is the founder of Spoleto?
3. What artist designed the official Spoleto poster?
4. Piccolo Spoleto was established in what year?
5. What theater in Charleston was the first used for public performances in America?
6. In Shakespeare’s play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” the character Robin Goodfellow is better known as what?
7. What region in Spain does flamenco come from?
8. What instrument does Chris Thile of the Punch Brothers play?
9. Who wrote the play “Oedipus”?
10. The short opera “Le Villi” was what composer’s first stage work?
2. It’s Menotti.
3. I don’t know.
4. The early ’90s.
5. Dock Street
6. Never seen the play.
7. It’s Andalucia.
1. I wanna say 1977, but I’m totally guessing.
2. Menotti. I pass his street off Anson all the time.
3. I think I read about it somewhere, but I’m blanking on the name.
4. A few years after Spoleto.
5. The Dock Street Theatre
6. Puck. I saw the movie version with Michelle Pfeiffer.
7. Maybe around Madrid?
8. Oh, I love them! Chris plays mandolin.
Rebecca edges out Brent to become the latest Head2Head trivia champ. She’ll return next week to defend her title.
2. Gian Carlo Menotti
3. Robert Mangold
5. Dock Street Theatre
10. Giacomo Puccini